Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is HathiTrust Digital Library?
HathiTrust is a not-for-profit collaborative of over 150 academic and research libraries, preserving 17+ million digitized items. HathiTrust offers reading access to the fullest extent allowable by U.S. copyright law, computational access to the entire corpus for scholarly research, and other emerging services based on the combined collection.
Loyola is a HathiTrust member and you can log in to HathiTrust here. You will need to log in using your Loyola username and password for access to full-text PDF files available in the public domain.
Log in to HathiTrust Digital Library
Step 1: Choose Loyola University Chicago as your partner institution.
Step 2: Click Continue.
Step 3: Sign in using your Loyola username and password.
Congratulations, you are now logged in!
HathiTrust Digital Library
HathiTrust is a not-for-profit collaborative project of over 150 academic and research libraries, and preserves over 17 million items including books and government documents. Reading access is available to the fullest extent available under US copyright law, with additional access available to members. Computational access to the entire collection is also available. Log in to ensure you have complete access to available items. During periods when the library is closed to patrons, Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) will allow temporary access to digitized versions of items in the Loyola print collection.
Guide for faculty/researchers (PDF)
Guide for students (PDF)
HathiTrust for Students
How can HathiTrust help me with my research and assignments?
- Discover items digitized from libraries around the world. It's like going to dozens of college and university libraries to do research—without leaving your home.
- Find primary sources you need for research papers or projects in HathiTrust's Digital Library. Some key facts about the collection include:
- 51% of the collection is in English, and hundreds of languages are represented, including large amounts of material in German, French, Chinese, Russian, and Spanish
- Texts include items in Language and Literature; Social Sciences; Sciences; the Arts and more.
- Uncover facts from the past in 1.3 million U.S. Federal Documents, including the U.S. Congressional Serial Set, Bureau of Indian Affairs publications, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency publications, and the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, and many other federal divisions.
- Search every word in every book and item in the whole collection using keywords or phrases. Use these searches to discover items on desired topics or themes, identify items for interlibrary loan requests, or to add to your research bibliography.
- Create a bibliography with a few clicks. View of download citations for any item in the collection in MLA or APA format.
HathiTrust for Faculty and Scholars
How can I use HathiTrust for my research and in the classroom?
- Find many of the texts you need in HathiTrust's digital library and then create a collection of these items for future reference or to share with others.
- Collaborate with research colleagues affiliated with one of HathiTrust's 150+ academic library members who also have full access to member benefits. Guest accounts for non-members provide limited access, according the ability to build and share personalized collections.
- Perform full-text (keyword or phrase) searches across the entire corpus or within a selection of items. Use full-text searches to discover what you're looking for or to identify items for interlibrary loan or research bibliography.
- Distinguish primary source or peer-reviewed items with greater ease as HathiTrust metadata are more nuanced and consistently applied than in other digital repositories.