Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
RefWorks is a tool you can use to collect, manage and organize research papers and documents. Read annotate, organize, and cite your research as well as collaborate with friends and colleagues by sharing collections. Using tools like "drag and drop" capability, "smart document recognition" and "Save To", upload documents, bibliographic metadata, and capture research from websites into your own personal research database which is saved on the web. Also use RefWorks to create simple bibliographies and papers formatted with in-text citations or footnotes.
Use the link here if you are still using Traditional Refworks. Please consider moving to New RefWorks as we can not guaranty continued availability for traditional RefWorks.
Creating a RefWorks Account
Complete these RefWorks tutorials to learn the basics.
RefWorks Basics 1
This tutorial covers how to create an account, import, and edit citations in RefWorks.
RefWorks Basics 2
This tutorial covers how to create folders, add records to folders, and export your bibliography in RefWorks.
shows the basic features of RefWorks including creating your database, managing your references and generating bibliographies.
RefWorks Advanced Features
demonstrates additional ways to add references to your database, editing multiple references, using the back and restore feature, advanced searching and more.
Sharing Your References in RefWorks
learn how to share a folder or your entire RefWorks database, how to set up various options and permissions and more.
RefWorks Output Style Editor
find out how to navigate the Output Style Preview utility and how to update an existing output style.
RefWorks Fundamentals User Workbook
A self-directed study guide with exercises that reinforce the topics covered in RefWorks Fundamentals (above).
RefWorks Advanced User Workbook
A self-directed study guide with exercises for features/functions not covered in the Fundamentals tutorial or workbook. Features include: Global Edit, Advanced Search/Saved Searches, Duplicate Checking, My List and more.
Overview of the New RefWorks
New RefWorks Features
- Collect and Import – With RefWorks it is simple and fast, to collect or import materials. Auto completion of reference data and retrieval of full text saves time and ensures accurate citations.
- Manage Research – RefWorks enables users to organize, read, and annotate everything they collect and import.
- Share and Collaborate – RefWorks smoothly allows users to share collections and collaborate with others.
- Write and Cite – RefWorks is accurate, delivering thousands of customizable citation styles to use within authoring tools.
- Streamlined Workflows – RefWorks makes research management and paper-writing easy with streamlined workflows that increase productivity.
New RefWorks Features:
Information and unique features in New RefWorks:
- New RefWorks makes it easier to collect and manage your full-text documents.
- New RefWorks is more compatible with Proquest databases, increasing accuracy and comprehensiveness of records.
- Unique features in New RefWorks::
- auto-completion of references
- save pages from the web and from popular research websites
- automated recognition of uploaded documents
- share documents with collaborative annotation (ability to highlight and add notes) as well as various levels of sharing (read-only, annotate, modify)
- built-in document reading, with zoom capability
- supports PDF and Office files
- read saved web pages stripped of ads and navigation
- Google Docs Add-in for writing and formatting paper
- The new RefWorks makes it easy to collaborate with others on joint projects.
Learning more about New Refworks
New Refworks Users Guide
Written instructions on using Refworks..
New Refworks Webinars
Live, online training in New refworks. Your chance to ask questions with the trainers. Older sessions are recorded.
Proquest New Refworks Channel
A youtube channel of New Refworks instructional videos.
This site allows users of Refworks to share information, get software tips and learn about new features and training opportunities.
Find the lastest improvements to RefWorks in the monthly updates.
Free ProQuest Webinars
-- sign up for free upcoming webinars held on a variety of topics. View previously recorded sessions as well!
If Refworks does not meet your needs, here are other options for research and citation management tools.
A browser extension and standalone program for Firefox, Chrome, and Safari that allows you to create personal collections of online documents, add notes and tags, export citations, and create bibliographies.
RefWorks Quick Start Guides in other Languages